All appraisals should be completed using a GMC-approved toolkit. Accepted toolkits currently include the MAG form and online toolkits Clarity and FourteenFish. You can access all of these resources below; we've also included some tips for using each one.
The MAG form **please use version 4.2 2020**
The MAG form is free to use and is described as a stand-alone, interactive PDF. The form can be downloaded to users' computers via the link below. NHS England has created an updated version of the MAG form - version 4.2 2020.
- To use the MAG form you will need Adobe Reader XI or above
- Microsoft Windows 7 is required
- Always download and save the MAG form to your computer before using it. Avoid working on a version you have opened directly from the internet or an email as this may save to your temporary files which can then be difficult to find.
- The attachment limit is 10MB.
- The most up-to-date MAG form is version 4.2 2020 - you can download the form via the link below.
Guidance for Apple users
- Mac OS v10.7 and above is required
- If you're using a Mac you may wish to consider using an alternative browser to Safari - such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Safari can have trouble downloading the interactive components of the MAG form.
- The form does not work on iPad.
- If you have installed Adobe Reader XI and are still experiencing problems this may be down to the operating system defaulting to "preview" which will not allow the interactive features of the form to work. To fix this problem please download the userguide below and follow the step-by-step guide at the end of the document .
Clarity is an online appraisal toolkit so rather than downloading a form to your computer, you complete the form on the Clarity website. You will need to register and pay to use this toolkit.
If you need help using the Clarity toolkit then please call their customer support team on 0845 113 7111 or send them an email.
Useful documents/ links
FourteenFish is an online appraisal toolkit so rather than downloading a form to your computer, you complete the form on the FourteenFish website or via their iPhone/ android app. You will need to register on the FourteenFish website. The learning diary and app are free but you will need to pay for the appraisal toolkit.
Your historic appraisal documentation can be uploaded.
Useful documents/ links